Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Limoncello

What do you do when life gives you lemons? Why - make Limoncello of course! This wonderful sweet, tart, lemony drink is easy to make at home. Here's how...

Go straight to the recipe

Start with lotsa lemons - about 15 lemons for 1 batch. I'm making 2 batches so that would be 30 lemons but these are really big ones - so 23 lemons is what I have and 23 lemons is what I'll use.


Now, all you want is the peel - no pith (that white bitter stuff underneath) - a very sharp vegetable peeler is key.

Place the peel in a large glass jar. I peeled the lemons over the jar they fall right in. No mess, no fuss.
Now you need some vodka. Use a cheap brand - whatever is cheap to you. You'll need 2 bottles (750ml each) per batch. Remember I said I was making 2 batches - so I'm using the BIG bottle. Some limoncello recipes say to use grain alcohol - I'm not sure it's legal here to buy grain alcohol, and besides I like vodka better.


Pour the first bottle of vodka into the jar. Don't worry that it doesn't look like much, this isn't the end. You'll be seeing another bottle of vodka going in here in the future.

Now we need to cover the jar. We don't want any icky things getting into the Limoncello. I'm a safety person - so first I cover the top with plastic wrap.


Then I cover with the glass top and wrap the plastic over and around the jar and lid, sealing them together. Nothing is getting in ---- or out!


Now - the Limoncello needs to rest for a while. How long? Well, a total of 90 days. Yes - 90 days. Some people steep it for less time, but I don't think it has the depth of flavor when it's steeped for anything shorter than 90 days.

In 45 days you have to add simple syrup and some more vodka. And then it sits for another 45 days.

How do I remember when to add the syrup and when it will be done? I use a very sophisticated system....
Write those key dates down!

Now it's time to stow the jar away in dark, cool place. So - into the back of the closet it goes.

In 45 days I'll bring it out and continue -- so come back then.

In the meantime.... I seem to have a lot of naked lemons. Hmmmmm.....

I know - they need a good reamin'.

MMMMM.... juicy lemons.....

Wow - 8 cups of lemon juice. What to do with 8 cups of lemon juice? Make lemon curd? Lemon poppy seed muffins? Lemonade? Lemon Meringue Pie? Hmmmmm.... decisions, decisions.... but that's something for another time.

Come back in 45 days and see what happens!!!

Welcome Back!!! It's been 45 days - now it's time for the next few steps. Bring out the jar. You do remember where you put it right? I found mine in the closet. It's hard to see here - but notice that the liquid change changed from clear to yellow. The vodka is being infused with the lemon...... yummmmm.

Now we need to make some simple syrup. You'll need 4 cups of sugar and 5 cups of water per batch. Since I'm making a double batch that means 8 cups of sugar and 10 cups of water.

Put the water and sugar in a pot. And heat it until it dissolves.


Then continue to heat it until it thickens but doesn't brown. See how the bubbles are getting larger?
Now let the simple syrup cool. It must be completely cool before you add it to the jar. Add the cooled simple syrup and another bottle of vodka to the jar - remember I'm making a double batch - so I'm using the larger bottle.
Seal it up again.


Now it's time to stash it away for another 45 days. Back into the closet you go.

See you at the end of April!

Welcome back!!!! Another 45 days have passed and it's time to start bottling the Limoncello. It's a much deeper, darker yellow now.

Now start bottling. Ensure the bottles are clean - I run mine through the dishwasher. A ladle and funnel are very helpful. Once I've bottled all the liquid, I just toss the peels -- I haven't found a good use for them. If you do, let me know.

Here's the results from all that "hard" work. I save all those funky, fancy looking bottles from drink mixers, wine and liquor bottles. The squiggly ones on the left are from Rose's martini mixers. The little one in front I bought new - they're the perfect size for giving as gifts.

Two little aperitif glasses, the bottle of Limoncello, a recipe or two printed on some pretty paper -- makes a great gift!

Now - take one of the larger bottles - keep it either in the fridge or freezer. Limoncello is typically served ice cold after a meal. mmmmmmmmmmm!!! Enjoy!

**************************************************
Recipe: Limoncello

Ingredients:
15 lemons, well scrubbed
2 bottles (each 750 ml) 100 proof vodka
4 cups sugar
5 cups water
1 glass jar

Directions:
Carefully zest the lemons so there is no white pith on the peel. Place one bottle of vodka in a jar and add the peel as it is zested.

Let sit for at least ten days and up to 45 days in a cool dark place. The longer rest is recommended.

Combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes until thickened and allow to cool. Add to the limoncello mixture along with the other bottle of vodka and allow to rest for another 10 to 45 days. Strain and bottle, keeping one in the freezer for use.

It's wonderful as a palate cleanser or after dinner. Use directly from freezer - pour into a small aperitif glass. Enjoy!


Uses for Limoncello